Good eating habits and a well-balanced diet is important and vital to healthy bodies and great skin! A key element to ensuring healthy supple skin is a lot of good FAT. Essential fatty acids (EFA) are called essential for a reason-our body needs them and requires a constant stream of them. Omega-3 & 6 are the building blocks of a healthy cell membrane. Fats help produce the skin’s natural oil barrier, good for promoting skin hydration and elasticity to keep the skin looking younger and plumper. If you’re not getting enough EFAs in your diet, your skin may be dry, inflamed, and prone to breakouts.
Winter is already a difficult season on the skin so including essential fatty acids can help heal and alleviate the discomfort of dry, itchy skin. Eat your fats and feed your skin some nutrients. My favorite way of getting healthy fats into my diet is by eating an avocado a day. I blend in my smoothies and use coconut oil another wonderful source for healthy fat. Avocados are rich in monounsaturated fats and contain lots of fiber, rich in vitamins and minerals, such as B-vitamins, vitamin K, potassium, copper. Avocados also contain vitamin E and vitamin C which help stimulate collagen production improving the skin’s ability to absorb moisture. You can also feed your face by drinking a smoothie blended with avocado.
You can get healthy fats and omegas in these foods as well:
- Safflower oil
- Fortified eggs
- Cooking oils-sunflower, safflower, sesame seed oils
- Nuts and seeds (pumpkin seeds, pistachio nuts, pine nuts, sunflower seeds)
- Olives and olive oil
- Whole-grain breads and cereals
Confused and having trouble with your skin? Treat yourself this season with one of my advanced skincare treatments or a beautiful relaxing organic facial. BOOK NOW or try an at home mask in between our sessions.
DIY Avocado Mask:
- 1/4 avocado
- 1 teaspoon of raw or manuka honey
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar ( acv)
- half a lemon wedge
- optional (5 drops of clary sage, 5 drops of lavender, 3 drops of roman chammomile)
- Mash the avocado. pour in honey and vinegar. Blend coconut oil with essential oils. Blend all together. Squeeze lemon in mixture. Mix well and apply to the skin. Leave on 20 minutes.
*Photo published with permission. Licensed by (depositphotos.com) copyright (Anastasia Kazakova)